Built in 1903, this mighty structure connects the two towns of Oberndorf (Austria) and Laufen (Germany). The historic road and border bridge is one of the most beautiful bridges in Europe.
Excerpt from the festive poem by district head teacher Michael Hörl on the occasion of the opening celebrations on 2 June 1903: "Now we remain forever united As a loyal neighbour forever, Nothing separates us in cheerful hours And not in times of danger. We now boldly defy the forces of the waves when they threaten; We will always stand together, faithfully standing by our neighbours. ..."
(Taken from the Oberndorf local chronicle)
For many centuries, the bridge in the Altach was the only connection between Oberndorf and Laufen and also the only crossing over the Salzach between Salzburg and Tittmoning. It was repeatedly destroyed by floods. Between 1901 and 1903, the "new" bridge was built between Laufen and Neu-Oberndorf.
Now the newly built Europasteg (2006) continues the historical bridge tradition in the Altach. The footbridge (131.20 m) is slightly offset from the old bridge, so that at low tide the remains of the old wooden bridge piers can still be seen.
Coming from Laufen, an impressive view of the Nepomuk statue and the Calvary Chapel opens up. On the Laufen side, the old houses of the historic Schifferstadt are enchanting.