Around 1440, the present parish church and the Anna chapel were built in late Gothic style. In 1684, the tower was given the baroque onion-shaped helmet that is still characteristic today. It is the only church tower in Salzburg's Flachgau region whose spire is not adorned with a cross, but with a 2 m tall radiant Madonna.
Around 1700, the parish church was a much-visited place of pilgrimage - Maria in den Erlen; many pilgrims came to Berndorf to seek help and comfort from the Radiant Madonna.
Franz Xaver Gruber - the composer of the song Silent Night Holy Night! lived in Berndorf from 1829 - 1835. For the 200th anniversary, a bronze statue was erected on the cemetery wall. With this monument - the bronze figure of Franz Xaver Gruber with his guitar sits on the cemetery wall next to the already existing commemorative plaque - the municipality of Berndorf wanted to set a more visible sign that the composer of the song "Silent Night Holy Night" worked for six years in Berndorf as a teacher, organist and sacristan and left his mark.