• Search in progress ...
Salzburg Seenland Logo
| search


Silent Night Chapel
Oberndorf near Salzburg

The chapel stands on the site of the former St. Nicholas Church (St. Nikola), where the Christmas carol was performed for the first time on 24 December 1818.

The modest, deliberately simple chapel is visited every year by guests from all over the world. It is precisely its simplicity that makes it seem so lovely. It was consecrated in 1937 after twelve years of construction. It was financed only by donations and stands on the spot where the St. Nicholas Church once stood.

The two windows show the song creators Joseph Mohr and Franz Xaver Gruber. The altarpiece consists of a wooden relief by Hermann Hutter, which dates from 1915.

We ask for your understanding that the chapel is not accessible for the duration of registered guided tours (approx. 20 min. each).

The chapel is open daily from 8.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. throughout the year.

Oberndorf Tourist Office
Stille-Nacht-Platz 7, 5110 Oberndorf
T. +43 6272 4422

made with ❤ by  the konceptionists